The Baltimore Ravens improved to 7-2 on the season, abusing the Oakland Raiders 55-20 in their most decisive win of the year. The Ravens received contributions up and down the roster, as the defense knocked down numerous Carson Palmer passes at the line; and the team set a new franchise record for points in a game.
With the win, the attention immediately turns to next Sunday night in Pittsburgh. The Steelers are 5-3 going into their game tomorrow night in Kansas City.
1) On 3rd and 2 during the Raiders 1st drive, Cody came up with a 1st down saving tackle. Going for it on 4th down, Palmer tripped and was tagged for the sack.
2) Baltimore’s initial series started with Rice gaining 5 yards on 1st down. On 3rd and 3, Flacco picked up the 1st with a strike to Boldin. The 11 yard gain from Boldin took the Ravens to the Oakland 34. Tucker would kick a FG from 48 yards out for a 3-0 Ravens lead.
3) Getting into the backfield, Suggs knocked down a Palmer pass on Oakland’s 2nd series. On 2nd and 10, McClain wrapped up a tackle underneath, setting up 3rd and long. On 3rd down, the Ravens were able to get pressure, led by Paul Kruger. The pass attempt was completed, but short of the 1st down marker and the Raiders were forced to punt.
4) Baltimore faced 3rd and 9 on their 2nd series, but were able to move the chains as Pitta caught an 18 yard pass over the middle. On another 3rd and 9, Dickson got behind the linebacker for 40 yards. Flacco would find he end zone on a keeper, giving the Ravens a 10-0 lead with the extra point.
5) The Raiders would punt for a 2nd time in the first minute of the 2nd Quarter. Upshaw made several plays during the series, and the Ravens were able to again bring pressure on 3rd down.
6) Following Flacco’s 2nd Quarter interception, Pollard continued his positive play on the day with a sack. After Palmer gained a 1st down at the Ravens 5 yard line, Baltimore’s defense was able to hold Oakland out of the end zone.
7) On Baltimore’s 2nd series of the 2nd Quarter, Rice came up with a great block, allowing Flacco to go down the field to Jones for 47 yards. On a 1st and 10 from the Oakland 30, Jones gained 6 more yards on the ground. Dickson brought the Ravens to 1st and Goal with a 19 yard gain on a crossing pattern over the middle. Pitta put Baltimore up 17-3 (with the extra point) with a leaping 5 yard catch also over the middle.
8) Kruger made a great play in the 2nd Quarter, ending an Oakland drive by batting a Palmer pass with a perfect leap, and coming down with the interception.
9) The Ravens made use of the unnecessary roughness penalty following Oakland’s hit on Pitta, picking up what was 3rd and 15 from the Raiders 37. Tucker would strike from 34 yards out, and Baltimore took the 20-3 lead.
10) The Ravens took over from their 20 yard line with 1:37 left in the 1st half holding a 20-10 lead. The drive started with Flacco and Rice connecting for 12 yards. That was followed with Pitta coming back into the gain and gaining 26 more. That took Baltimore to the Oakland 42. A short pass to Jones resulted in another 7 yard gain. Rice gained 17 yards, advancing Baltimore to the Oakland 18. Pitta gained 11 more yards over the middle. Rice would finish the drive with an untouched 7 yard rush up the middle. This allowed Baltimore to reclaim command of the game, and go to half time with the 27-10 lead.
11) Torrey Smith’s 47 yard TD pass on the Ravens 1st series of the 2nd half, should have served as a knock out punch. With the extra point, Baltimore took a commanding 34-10 lead.
12) Upshaw batted down a ball on Oakland’s 1st series of the 2nd half.
13) Having recovered Oakland’s fumbled punt return in the 3rd Quarter, Flacco and Smith connected for a 2nd time, and another Ravens TD. Baltimore went up 41-17 with the extra point.
14) On 3rd and 9 from their own 41, Boldin had a 19 yard gain. That was followed by Doss going up high for 24 more yards over the middle. The Ravens gained a Special Teams TD, when Koch found the end zone on a 7 yard rush on a faked FG attempt. I’m sure Harbaugh will catch flak for running up the score, but it should be noted that fake came one play after an Oakland defender did a lot of talking with coming up with a stop on 3rd down. The extra point had the Ravens tie their franchise record with 48 points scored.
15) SS James Ihedigbo had a nice tackle in space during the 4th Quarter.
16) Jones moved the Ravens up-and-over 50 points with his 105 yard Kickoff return in the 4th.
17) Albert McClellan recovered Palmer’s fumble deep in Ravens territory in the middle of the 4th.
1) Oakland started the game with Reece gaining 5 yards on 1st down. On 3rd and 3, Palmer picked up the 1st, finding Ausberry for 20 yards. On 1st and 10, Heyward-Bey gained 8 yards battling through a would be tackle from Graham.
2) The Ravens had a 1st and 10 from the Raiders 34 on their initial series, but Baltimore’s drive stalled, and they had to settle for a Tucker FG attempt.
3) Leading 10-0, Baltimore’s first series of the 2nd Quarter ended with Flacco being picked off by Huff deep in Ravens territory. Following Pollard’s sack, Palmer hit Myers for 21 yards and a 1st down at the Ravens 5. Oakland would convert the interception into points, with a 32 FG from Janikowski.
4) After Kruger’s 2nd Quarter interception, Reid was charged with offensive holding on the Ravens first offensive play.
5) T.Smith’s TD to begin the 2nd half, put the Raven up 34-10. The game should have effectively been over. However, Oakland would go right down the field and score themselves. The TD coming on a 30 yard pass to Moore, with Moore beating Graham badly. The Raiders went 80 yards on 7 plays over just 3 minutes.
5) Baltimore went 3 and out, following Oakland’s 3rd Quarter TD.
6) Palmer floated a pass down the middle of the field which could have been picked off by C. Williams in the middle of the 3rd Quarter.
7) Taking a 31 point lead into the final 5 minutes of the 3rd Quarter, it seemed like more of the starters could be removed. (To be fair, there were numerous replacements as the 4th began.)
8) J.Smith was charged with holding on Doss’s 4th Quarter punt return.
1) Heyward-Bey scored Oakland’s first TD on a 55 yard reception, where he ran through a missed tackle from Ed Reed.
2) In some ways, today felt like the Ravens best defensive game of the year. They have had games where they allowed less points, but the defense today did a better job of converging to the ball, and getting pressure. Still, Oakland managed to put 20 points on the board, with Palmer throwing for nearly 400 yards. I’m not criticizing the results or effort today, just pointing out that everything did not go right for the defense, on a day they possibly played their ‘best.’
Flacco was 21-33, for 341 yards, 3 TD’s, and 1 pick. He also ran for a score.
Oakland was 8 of 18 on 3rd down, Baltimore was 5 of 12.
Both the Ravens and Raiders had over 400 yards of offense.
The Ravens had just 4 penalties.
Rice and Pierce combined for 23 carries, for 58 yards Both backs averaged under 3 yards per carry.
Kruger was credited with 2 sacks, to go with his interception.
Dickson entered the game with 85 yards, today he had 59.
7 Ravens had at-least 26 yards receiving, none had more than 67.