The Baltimore Ravens started their 2012 Pre-Season with a 31-17 victory in Atlanta over the Falcons.
1) Coach Harbaugh might have preferred to have his coverage team get some work, but I still liked seeing Cundiff start the game with a touch-back.
2) After Atlanta’s initial score, Jacoby Jones returned the kickoff 29 yards. On the Ravens first drive of the 2nd Quarter, Jones picked up 10 yards with a slant over the middle on 3rd and 1.
3) Koch’s first punt was not returned.
4) On Atlanta’s 2nd series, the Ravens got penetration on 2nd down, with McClain knocking down Ryan’s pass.
5) Starting in place of Ray Lewis, Ayanbadejo picked off Ryan, and returned the ball 40 yards.
6) Continuing to play into the 2nd Quarter, the Ravens obtained their first 1st down, when Flacco hit Smith for 15 yards. Two plays later they connected over the middle for another 25 yards.
7) Vonta Leach had a nice 12 yard grab out of the backfield.
8) Baltimore got their first points of the Pre-Season, when Flacco found Dickson over the middle for 9 yards and a score. This culminated an 11 play, 77 yard TD drive.
9) The result was great, but even if it had not worked out quite as well, I liked the decision from Coach Harbaugh to leave the Ravens starting offense on the field to begin the 2nd Quarter. The 1st Quarter had gone horribly, and Coach Harbaugh gave the Ravens starting offense a chance to leave on a positive note. Flacco left the game having completed 9 of his 12 attempts, for 88 yards and the TD. EDIT: At the Half, Coach Harbaugh told Stan White that he did not leave the starting offense on the field to begin the 2nd, due to the ineffectiveness of the offense in the 1st Quarter.
10) Cody knocked down a pass attempt from Redman in the 2nd Quarter.
11) DT Byran Hall made a nice swim move, just missing a sack on Redman.
12) Taylor replaced Flacco for the Ravens 2nd drive of the 2nd Quarter, and immediately rushed for 18 yards on his first play. On Taylor’s 2nd series, he made a couple of nice throws, one to LaQuan Williams for 25 yars, one to Deonte Thompson for 22 yards, and another to Billy Bajema for 8 yards. In the 3rd Quarter, Taylor made something out of nothing on 3rd down, with a QB draw.
13) Rookie CB Asa Jackson stepped in the end-zone, giving the Falcons a touch-back, it was a great effort on Special Teams, and showed his athleticism. Several plays later, he was sent on a blitz, again showing some athleticism (though he did not bring down Redman).
14) On Taylor’s 2nd series, Anthony Allen had his best run of the night, when Gradkowski sprung him with a nice block.
15) With 2 minutes left in the 2nd Quarter, Atlanta was facing 3rd and 6 on their 17 yard line. Albert McClellan had a nice sack on the Falcons 3rd QB John Parker Wilson.
16) 6’5, 220lb rookie WR Tommy Streeter made a nice 4th down catch over the middle for what should have been a 1st down with a minute left in the half. The big receiver used his body well, shielding the defender. The spot (and replay) did not give Streeter the 1st, but it seemed clear the play was made.
17) Bobby Rainey got the opportunity to make a few plays in the return game, and at RB. The 5’8, 212 rookie showed some burst, balance, and ability to keep his legs moving forward. He made guys miss on his 4th Quarter TD run.
18) Justin Tucker made his first FG attempt (36 yards) to pull the Ravens within a TD at 17-10.
19) Rookie Safety Omar Brown came up with fumble recovery in the 3rd Quarter. Later he would add a pick, and recover another fumble (this one caused by a strip from Ricky Brown).
20) Curtis Painter was not able to take advantage of good field position in his first series, but he took advantage of the excellent field position (starting at the Atlanta 10) in his second series, finding Bajema in the end-zone for a game tying TD. Nice boot-leg.
21) Deonte Thompson’s 3rd catch of the game was a 22 yard TD reception near the end of the 3rd Quarter. This gave the Ravens the 24-17 lead. The Rookie WR from Florida has lots of speed, timed in the 40 yard dash at 4.23, and 4.33 at Florida’s Pro Scout Day.
22) Damien Berry showed well. The RB had a handful of carries, a 12 yard reception, and a 32 yard KR. As a RB, he looked pretty fluid, with some cut-back ability.
23) The Ravens have been excited about their off-season addition of CB Corey Graham, due to his Special Teams ability. He has been opening eyes in camp, and added a 4th Quarter sack tonight.
24) Christian Thompson delivered a big hit late in the 4th.
1) The Ravens were excellent on 3rd down coverage in 2011. In Atlanta’s first series today, Ryan picked up 3rd and 4 from the Falcons 26 yard line, with a 13 yard completion to Roddy White. This allowed the Falcons drive to continue, and that was followed by a 26 yard gain to Julio Jones, and a 19 yard gain on an inside screen on the successive plays. On 3rd and 1 from the Baltimore 7, Jones got behind Williams and Reed for an Atlanta Touchdown. Impressive 80 yard drive for the Falcons starters, with the Ravens defensive starters showing very little.
2) Baltimore’s starting offense went 3 and out on their initial series, despite Flacco completing two passes.
3) Atlanta’s 2nd series started with the Falcons continuing to pick on Cary Williams, with R. Williams beating the Ravens corner for another 21 yards.
4) After going 3 and out on their first series, the Ravens went 3 and out on their 2nd and 3rd series as well. Following the Ayanbadejo interception, Flacco attempted to go deep down the field, and overthrew Jones.
5) The 4th Atlanta series, started with Ryan completing his 7th pass of the 1st Quarter, hitting Jones for 15 yards. Several plays later Ryan and the Falcons faced 3rd and 4 from their 36, and Ryan hit White for a 12 yard gain. Atlanta moved to the Ravens 20 yard line, when Jones caught a 36 yard pass (despite pass interference from Webb). Atlanta would punch in their 2nd score, on the first play of the 2nd Quarter. Rodgers 2 yard TD run punctuated a 10 play, 85 yard, 4 minute 50 second drive.
6) During the Ravens first drive of the 2nd Quarter, Ed Dickson fell down resulting in a sack of Flacco.
7) LaQuan Williams was called for a penalty.
8) Anthony Allen missed a block, which caused Taylor to be sacked on Taylor’s 2nd series. On 3rd and 5 with just over a minute left in the half, Allen missed a pass on a sure 1st down.
9) After Streeter’s 4th down catch was not ruled a 1st down, the Ravens 2nd team defense allowed the Falcons to go 50 yards over 7 plays during the last minute, setting up a FG that ended the half.
10) Dorian Graham dropped an open pass in the 4th.
11) Ryan chewed up the Ravens starters, going 9 of 13 for 155 yards.
12) Five Atlanta receivers had receptions of at-least 15 yards.
1) Koch’s 2nd punt was returned 45 yards, giving Atlanta a 1st and 10 at the Ravens 15.
2) The 1st Quarter ended with the Ravens having been out-gained 191 yards to 9, with Atlanta picking up 9 first downs to Baltimore’s 0.
3) A. Jackson hurt his hamstring. J. Jones was shaken-up, Dickson sprained his shoulder. NT Ryan McBean was carted off the field.