Maryland Recruiting Weekly Recap
It was a busy week at College Park for Maryland commits. The Terps landed three commitments on the gridiron in two days.
(Discuss this article on the BSL Message Board here.)
- Brett Kulka (Edinboro, Pennsylvania) was the first to commit this week. The 6-foot-5, 230-pound defensive end from General McLane HS committed to Maryland over offers from Akron, Bucknell, Buffalo, and Kent St.
“Their program and their philosophy and what they do there seemed like a good fit for me,” Kulka told The Baltimore Sun. “I looked like a good fit for what they had going and I’m hoping I can help them out.”
- Tyler Burke popped second, a day later. The 6-foot-4 linebacker from Coatesville, PA had a dozen offers including offers from Boston College, Georgia Tech, N.C. State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse and Wisconsin.
“I just like all the coaches and players, and I just get that feeling when I’m on campus,” Burke told ESPN. “They have been recruiting me for over a year now, so it shows they want me.”
- As for 5-star cornerback Jalen Tabor, he has announced that Maryland and Florida have made his top two. Tabor had a top five of FSU, Florida, Vanderbilt, Maryland and Alabama.
He told ESPN, “It’s my hometown. I’m feeling a little bit of pressure to go to Maryland now. They have a great sponsorship and relationship with Under Armour. They are turning the corner right now.”
- The Terps tapped into Texas where they received their second commitment of the day from 6-foot-4, 270-pound offensive tackle Brendan Moore. Moore chose Maryland over offers to Wake Forest, Boise State, and Missouri.
“Everybody told me as soon as I walked on a campus, within the first 30 minutes, you’ll know it’s right for you,” Moore told ESPN. “That’s how I felt about Maryland. The coaches took the time to get to know me as a person and a player. Coach (Randy) Edsall really stresses family atmosphere, and I’ve always been a family-oriented person.”
- One of the top recruits the Terps are going after is Goodluck Okonoboh. The 6-foot-9, 225-pound power forward has over a dozen offers but it appears Indiana may be the favorite. The 2014 grad from Wilbraham & Monson Academy also has offers from UConn, Duke, Missouri and Syracuse to name a few.
- According to Alex Kline at RecruitingScoop.com, the Terps offered 2015 prospect Derrick Jones. Jones is a small forward from Archbishop Carroll in PA. He is a 3-star prospect on Scout and a 4-star prospect on Rivals. He currently has 10 offers including those from Cincinnati, Syracuse, Kansas State, Villanova, and Rutgers.