Ravens vs Jets Preseason Game 2
The Ravens host Rex Ryan, and the New York Jets tomorrow night in Preseason Game 2.
As always, the primary thing to be accomplished is ending this game without a significant injury.
By Preseason Game 3, Coaches like to have their basic team assembled and able to gain time together. That means the few spots available for this roster, will likely be determined tomorrow night.
Here are a couple of things I am looking to see:
1) What playing time does John Beck get? If the team is actually comfortable with his health, he figures to play tomorrow. If he is unable to play, and Cleo Lemon gets extended snaps, Beck’s spot could be in question. I want to see Beck, play and perform, because I think that will allow the team to feel comfortable using Troy Smith in the Suggs/Wildcat formations.
2) With Rolle having lingering injury concerns, the Nickle and Dime backs become something to watch. Rookie Lardarius Webb’s athleticism is going to earn him regularly playing-time, and Frank Walker was going to make the team regardless, but what about Derrick Martin, and Evan Oglesby? Is one of them able to step-up and perform? I guess Chris Carr also factors here, but with the need for him to perform in the return game, I would like to limit his time in the Secondary.
3) Reports are starting to trickle out of Owings Mills about Hauschka taking the lead over Gano. Do they have any opportunities for pressure kicks tomorrow? How are their kickoffs?
4) Rice, McGahee, and McClain are obviously locks at RB. I think Peerman has the inside-track as the 4th RB. Does Matt Lawrence do enough to make them consider carrying a 5th?
5) Can the 1st-team O-line of Gaither, Grubbs, Birk,
6) LJ Smith had a nice reception last week. Heap and Flacco spent time working together after camp practices this summer. Can we see further evolution of the TE’s in the offense this week?
7) Harper has had a Training Camp full of plays, but has also had his share of drops. Marcus Smith’s ACL injury, should guarantee a roster spot for Harper. However, if Harper has a couple of drops tomorrow, it could force the Ravens to add from outside of the current roster.
8) From my vantage point, nothing would be as enjoyable as seeing Flacco and Demetrius Williams having some success together in the initial drive.
9) Gooden looked extremely fired-up in the 1st-game, and seemed to solidify his place in-front of McClain and Ellerbe. Does anything happen tomorrow to change that?
10) How quick can you get the starters off of the field?