Terps Basketball: Some Numbers Of Note
The University of Maryland Terrapins end the out-of-conference portion of their schedule Friday night when UMBC comes to College Park.
The Terps enter the match-up vs. the Retrievers with an 11-3 record overall, including 1-1 in Big Ten play.
Below are some numbers of note based on the initial 14 games so far this year.
(You can discuss this on the BSL Board here.)
- 34th overall in the Ken Pomeroy rankings.
- 37th in Adjusted Offense, and also 37th in Adjusted Defense. They are 241st in Adjusted Tempo.
- 65th Nationally in points per game (79.2).
- 27th in Average Scoring Margin.
- 49th in Offensive Efficiency.
- 23rd in Shooting %.
- 114th in Offensive Rebounding Per Game, 22nd in Defensive Rebounding Per Game.
- 27th overall in Blocks Per Game, 310th in Steals Per Game.
- 90th overall in Assists Per Game, 331st in Turnovers Per Game, and 335th in Team Turnovers Per Possession.
- The fourth highest Big Ten team in the KenPom rankings behind Michigan State (2nd), Purdue (5th), and Michigan (33rd).
- 221st Nationally in points per game from 2 pointers (48%), 198th Nationally in points per game from 3′s (30%), 56th Nationally in points coming from FT’s (22%).
Some Individual Numbers:
- Only five Terrapins (Cowan, Huerter, Morsell, Nickens, and Bender) have appeared in all 14 games. Cekovsky has been in 13 games. Fernando and Wiley have been in 12 each. Jackson and Obi have appeared in 11 each.
- Cowan leads MD at 34.9 Minutes per. Huerter is 2nd at 33.1. Jackson is 3rd at 29.2. Morsell is at 22.9, Wiley 21.1, Fernando at 19.5, Cekovsky 15.8, Nickens 13.1, and Bender is at 11.9.
- Jackson leads MD in 8.1 Rebound Per Game. Fernando is second at 5.8. Huerter is third at 5.1. Cowan is fourth at 4.8.
- Jackson is fourth overall in scoring at 9.8 Points Per Game.
- Fernando is third in Points Per Game, despite being sixth in minutes per game.
- While seventh overall in minutes per game, Cekovsky is averaging 6.5 ppg, and 3.4 boards.
- Cowan also leads MD in Free Throw attempts at 96. Morsell is second at 46. Huerter and Jackson have combined for just 60.
- MD has four players averaging at-least 2.6 Turnovers Per Game (Cowan, Jackson, Huerter, and Morsell).
- Five Terps have attempted at-least forty three-pointers (Huerter 75, Cowan 60, Wiley 47, Nickens 41, Jackson 40). Nickens has made 56% of his attempts, Huerter 47%, Wiley 38%, Cowan 37%, Jackson 25%.
- Nickens has 50 FG attempts, 41 of them are from 3. He has 4 FT attempts on the year.
- Morsell is 1 of 12 from 3. The Freshman has scored at-least 9 points in 7 games.
- Five Terps are averaging at-least 1 Assist Per Game. Cowan leads at 4.4, Huerter is at 3.9, Jackson 1.9, Morsell 1.8, and Bender is at 1.4.
- Huerter is just 19 of 31 at the line (61%). Cowan leads at 87%, Jackson is second at 83%. They are the only Terrapins shooting at 80% and above.
- There have been 8 games where Huerter did not reach 10 or more FG attempts. Despite that, he’s second on the team in scoring (13.7 ppg).
- By KenPom, the ACC has 8 teams ahead of MD. The Big 12 has 7 teams ahead of MD. The Big East has 4 teams ahead of MD. The SEC has 4 teams ahead of MD. The AAC had 3 teams ahead of MD. The WCC has 2 teams ahead of MD. The Pac 12 has 2 teams ahead of MD.
- By KenPom, MD’s best OOC win is Butler. The Bulldogs are currently ranked 44th overall.
- As compiled by Bracket Matrix, Maryland appears on 21 of 32 currently available brackets. The average seed for MD is 11th. By the Bracket Maxtrix compilation, there are four Big Ten teams (Michigan State, Purdue, Michigan, and Minnesota) that appear on more brackets / have better seeding than the Terps. Maryland has six games (Michigan State home and away, Michigan home and away, Minnesota home, Purdue away) remaining against these teams.