Terps run past ND in the 2nd half; What did we see?
The University of Maryland Terrapins ended a 2 game losing streak with a 74-66 win over Notre Dame to improve to 11-7 overall, and 3-2 in the Atlantic Coast Conference.
The Terps will next head to NCST on Monday night.
(Discuss this on the BSL Board here.)
What did we see?
1) Maryland’s comeback was earned through some strong defensive effort over the entire course of the 2nd half. It was great see, and a good win for the psyche of the fan-base (and likely the MD players themselves).
2) Maryland’s early 10-4 lead to start the game was quickly erased, with a 17-2 Notre Dame run. The Irish went to the half leading the Terps 34-25.
2a) At halftime, the Terps were 3 of 15 from 3 point land. Like many opponents, the Irish were utilizing a zone defense against MD, and MD was willing to force shots up from outside. For the game, the Terps finished 7 of 25 from 3. So, MD’s attempts from outside went down in the 2nd half, and their makes went up.
2b) In the first 20 minutes of play, the Terps had 10 more FG attempts than ND, but had converted 3 less shots. ND shot a blistering 58%, while MD was just 32% from the floor. This changed in the 2nd half, with MD finishing having made 39% of their shots (25-64). Notre Dame’s shooting percentage fell to 48%.
2c) Notre Dame’s first basket of the 2nd half came with just over 13 minutes left in the game. The Irish missed several good looks on their own, but Maryland’s defense was also a factor. Maryland won the 2nd half 49-32.
3) Maryland had 8 turnovers at the half, and finished with 10 for the game. Clearly this was a significant factor in the Terps comeback as well.
4) The Terps had a 20-15 rebounding edge at half-time. This continued in the 2nd half, with MD winning on the glass 40-32.
5) Neither the Irish, nor the Terps were effective at getting to the line in the 1st half. Notre Dame made their only 2 attempts, while MD was 0-3. In the 2nd half, the Terps found ways to get to charity stripe. For the game, MD was 17 of 23. (ND finished 11 of 20.)
6) In the 1st half, Wells, Smotrycz, and Faust were a combined 4 of 19 from the floor, including 1 for 9 from 3. The trio would wind-up combining for 35 points.
6a) Wells first basket came early in the 2nd half on a lob from Allen. Wells finished 11 of 13 from the line. Several times just bullying ND defenders. When MD needed important answers on the offensive end, Wells was looking to lead his team.
6b) It was a poor offensive game from Smotryz (2 of 12 from the floor, 1 of 4 from 3), but his made 3 was big. That shot extended MD’s lead to 5 (46-41) with 8:46 left. Smotrycz also added 8 boards.
6c) Faust was 4 of 10 from the floor, and just 2 of 7 from 3. He did have some good defensive moments. One of his 3′s was important, as he used a good look from Wells to put MD up 69-61 with 1:14 left. Faust finished with 13 points, 2 assists, and 2 steals.
7) While Layman buried an early 3, and had a good slam with a nice move on the baseline; his offense still wasn’t there tonight (3 of 7 from the floor, 1 of 5 from 3). While he wasn’t putting up the points, Layman did contribute with his 10 boards, and 3 assists.
8) Mitchell had 4 points, and 5 boards off the bench in the 1st half. A put-back from Mitchell pulled MD within 1 (34-33) in the 2nd half. Another basket inside, again pulled MD within 1 (36-35). A good game overall from Mitchell was marred slightly by his foul on the defensive end with just over 2 minutes to go. Mitchell finished with 10 points and 7 boards (6 offensive). Mitchell has his flaws and limitations, but he can help a roster when he plays with the energy he showed tonight.
9) The Terps reclaimed the lead (39-36) when Allen hit a 3 from the wing. Allen finished with 14 points (5 of 13 from the field), with 5 boards, 4 assists, 1 steal, and 1 block. He’s is a difference maker on both ends of the floor.
10) Several times it appeared that ND was going to make things tight down the stretch. Good job from the Terps to hold on, and get the win.
11) Cleare had a nice spin, and short-jumper in the post with just over 5 minutes left. Fouled on the play, he made his FT attempt. Another basket inside from Cleare, pushed the lead to 10 (64-54) with under 3 minutes to play. Cleare finished with 7 points, 2 boards, and a block.
12) Where was Peters tonight? The only thing in his state line was 1 turnover.
13) MD had 13 assists on their 25 made FG’s tonight.