Terps smack ODU; The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
Maryland followed-up last week’s impressive outing vs. Florida International, with another strong team effort today vs. Old Dominion. Taking a 31-3 lead to the half, the Terps would ultimately win 47-10.
Week 1 in College Football saw a number of FCS schools rising up and beating FBS schools (One such game being Towson University of Connecticut – who MD faces next week). Old Dominion is a school that has had a lot of success as a FCS program, and is in the process of moving-up to FBS, and joining Conference USA next year. While a MD win was expected today, there was reason to wonder if ODU would be able to put up their share of yardage and points. It was great to see MD take early control of the action, and force their will on their opponent. MD had size and strength advantages on the lines, and took advantage.
The Terrapins have to feel good about how they’ve played these first two weeks, as they now begin to prepare to travel North to face Connecticut next Saturday, and take on West Virginia at M&T Bank here in Baltimore on the 21st.
With the Huskies having lost to TU in their opener, there are going to be some MD fans who discount UConn as a threat to MD. It should be remembered that the Huskies did beat MD last year, will still be out for ‘revenge’ vs. Coach Edsall, that the American Athletic is a ‘major’ conference – and lastly that UConn wil have not played since the 8/29 loss to the Tigers. They will be motivated to look better. That said, I feel good about the Terps having a great opportunity to improve to 3-0.
(You can discuss this post on the BSL Board here.)
1) I. Goins came up with an interception to end ODU’s initial series of the game. Good to see an early play from the Secondary, with J. Johnson not available today.
2) Maryland picked up 3rd and 7 on their first drive, with Diggs coming up with the 1st. That was followed by a Ross run down the sideline for 12 yards. Diggs had a 6 yard rush on 1st down, setting up 2nd and 4 from the 13. MD would get a Craddock FG, to take the 3-0 lead.
3) Ross started MD’s 2nd series with a 23 yard gain up the middle. Long got involved with an inside screen, getting 6 yards. On 2nd and 4, Ross rumbled for another 1st. The FB K. Goins got a carry, and gained MD’s 3rd 1st down of the drive. Continuing to get players involved, TE D. Steinbaugh had a 12 yard gain. Ross followed with a 16 yard run, taking the ball to the ODU 4. On 1st and Goal, Ross finished the drive with a TD. The Terps went up 10-3.
4) He couldn’t keep the game ball last week, but Whitfield was able to bring down Heinicke on ODU’s third series for a 16 yard loss. On 3rd down, MD came up with their 2nd interception, and Sean Davis took it to the house. However, there was blocking below the waist called on William Likely which eliminated the score. Still, MD’s offense was in great shape to begin their third series.
5) After the Davis interception, MD began in ODU territory. Diggs went up to make a great 41 yard catch. On 1st and Goal, Brown found the end zone himself. MD continuing to have a lot of success out of the diamond formation. The Terps took the 17-3 lead.
6) ODU’s offense was finally showing signs of life during their last drive of the 1st Quarter, and into the 2nd. Marching the field, ODU had 1st and Goal from the Terps 3 yard line. MD’s defense was able to hold though – as Whifield tipped the ball at the line of scrimmage, and Yannick Ngakoue got MD’s 3rd pick of the day.
7) The Terps allowed 1 large run on ODU’s first full series of the 2nd Quarter, but then got a 3 down stop, and forced a punt.
8) MD’s 2nd series of the 2nd Quarter started at their 3 yard line. Ross gained some daylight for the Terps with back-to-back strong runs. Nice block on the 2nd run from Steinbaugh. Ross then moved MD out past the 30, with a reception out of the backfield. On 3rd and 1, Ross gained 15 yards, taking the ball to midfield. On 3rd and 8, MD used a generous pass interference call on ODU to keep the drive going. Diggs would go 41 yards down the sidelines, putting the Terps up 24-3. The 9 play, 97 yard drive put MD in firm control of the game, with 5:19 left in the 1st half. Great scheme on the play to Diggs, and fantastic effort from Diggs as he ran through would be tackles.
9) Nice tackle in space from Likely late in the 2nd Quarter. On 3rd and 7, ODU had a possible 1st down negated by a strong tackle from I. Goins. ODU was forced to again punt to MD, with the Terps offense getting a chance to takeover on offense up 24-3 with under 4 minutes left in the half.
10) Taking over on offense with 3 minutes left in the 1st half, Long started the drive with a 14 yard catch. That was followed by another big play from Diggs, this time for 33 yards. Making something out of nothing, Diggs gained 6 yards on the ground. On 2nd and 4, Reid took the ball to the house with a 27 yard run. MD rolled down the field, going 80 yards in just under 2 minutes for the 31-3 lead.
11) Andre Monroe had a big sack on ODU’s last drive of the 1st half. Likely made a good play in pass coverage. On 3rd and 1 from midfield, the Terps had good coverage, and Heinicke had to throw the ball away.
12) Monroe added a second sack, on ODU’s first series of the 2nd half. Good coverage from the MD Secondary on the play. D. McDougle had a couple of good plays in coverage on that series.
13) The first ODU series of the 2nd half would end, when the Monarchs did not covert on 4th down. MD took over, and got to their 30 with a 9 yard run from Ross. Diggs followed with another huge gain – 31 yards – racing into ODU territory. On 3rd and 2, Brown kept the option keeper himself, and found the end zone 31 yards later. 38-3 MD.
14) MD’s 3rd drive of the 3rd Quarter started at their 40. Reid had two runs for 7 yards. Long had a 4 yard gain for a 1st. Reid gained 5 more yards on the ground, and Steinbaugh gained 23 yards in the air. A 9 yard rush from Reid took the ball to the ODU 12. On 3rd and 2, Reid slammed forward for 6 yards to set-up 1st and Goal. Nigel King would get the TD reception, with Brown’s 2nd TD pass of the day. MD went up 45-3.
15) 27 yard PR from Likely early in the 4th. After the Safety, Likely had a 43 yard KR.
16) Rowe, and other back-ups entered the game to begin the 4th. Young would enter after the Rowe pick. Veii looked good with his attempts, including a gain of 26 yards on 3rd and 15.
17) AJ Hendy had a strong special teams play, downing the Renfro punt at the 1 yard line. Darius Kilgo would come up with a Safety on the following play. 47-3 MD.
1) After reaching the ODU 13 yard line on their first series, MD had to settle for a FG.
2) ODU picked up 3rd and 2 on their 2nd series, getting a 20 yard gain with 5 wr’s on the field. Another Pinkard gain took ODU to the MD 35. Using a high tempo, they had MD off-balance. Another first down set up 1st and 10 from the 23. That drive looked to be finished with an 18 yard strike to the end zone, giving the Monarchs a 7-3 lead. However, the call on the field was not overturned, and ODU had to settle for a FG to tie the game. The referees told ESPN, that the receiver did not maintain control.
3) Leading 17-3, MD’s defense did not wrap up on M. Vaughn, as the ODU WR gained 30 yards. Pinkard caught two passes to get ODU to the MD 31. Heinicke ran for a 19 yard gain, taking the ball to the MD 14. As the 2nd Quarter began, Heinicke ran through two missed tackles for another gainer. ODU’s 4th drive saw them with a 1st and Goal at the MD 3, prior to the Terps defense coming up with another pick.
4) After the Ngakoue pick, MD used a couple of large gainers to reach midfield. At that point the offense stalled with Brown losing a yard, and two pass attempts going incomplete. MD had to punt for the first time.
5) Brown should have been intercepted on MD’s 2nd drive of the 2nd Quarter. Ross pitched back to Brown, and Brown tried to force it.
6) S. Davis picked up an unsportsmanlike penalty on the Kickoff following the Diggs 2nd Quarter TD.
7) Taking over on offense to begin the 2nd half, MD was quickly forced to punt.
8) ODU faced 4th and 11 on MD’s 44 on their first drive of the 2nd half. Heinicke was able to extend the play, and pick up the 1st with a 16 yard pass to A. Vaughan.
9) The Terps were leading 38-3, with a minute plus left in the 3rd Quarter, when Diggs was hurt.
10) Getting time in the 4th, Rowe was picked off.
1) With the Terps leading 10-3, S. Davis came up with an interception, which he returned for the score. The TD was taken off the board though, due to a penalty on W. Likely.
Notes / Thoughts:
1) Brown was 14 of 22, for 275 yards, and 2 TD’s in the air. He also ran 4 times for 30 yards, and 2 more scores. He will never be a beautiful looking pocket passer, but he has improved. Stronger, more accurate. That plus his legs, makes him a real weapon.
2) Diggs had 6 catches, for a career high 179 yards, and a TD.
3) Long had 3 catches, but for just 24 yards. Stretching for something ‘negative’ here, I’m slightly disappointed he was not able to be move involved today.
4) Great seeing MD have success running the ball today. They were up against a smaller line, and they controlled the action. Ross had 18 carries, for 149 yards, and 1 TD. Reid had 7 carries for 56 yards, and 1 TD. Establishing the rb’s, just further opens up things outside. Veii also looked good in garbage time.
5) MD had nearly 600 yards of offense, averaging nearly 9 yards per play.
6) MD had 4 sacks (Monroe 2, Whitfield, Goree) today, along with their 3 picks (Goins, Davis, Ngakaoue).